Barnesy in the USA

5 weeks in the United States of America.
7 days in Virginia
35 days at the University of Central Oklahoma
1 person's honest and uncensored views

Monday 5 July 2010

Days 26, 27, 28: Open Road, Oklahoma!, Oh crap not another rainstorm

Ok, so now to summarize three days. Three days where quite a lot happened too.
Thursday saw the group take a trip down the most famous road in the USA, Route 66, to a resturant called Pops. As the name suggests, the place had literally a tonne of pop. Apparently, there's over 500 different varieties of pop, I sampled just one of them! Ah well. The food they served was pretty god, as usual, the portion was about a billion times larger than it should've been.
Outside pop's we had some pretty good photo opportunities to have some fun with, before going back. For once, Sports mode actually came in handy! Taking pictures like these:
Coming back we then had a photo-session playing volleyball and basketball... something I really enjoyed as it gave me a chance to get out from behind the camera, and get photograpphed playing sports... miracles do happen afterall!!!
I love volleyball, and there's some awesome pictures up on my Facebook page. Having got bored, four of us went off to a local swimming pool for a couple of hours to chill and swim. Swimming pools in the UK have nothing on this!!! In a couple of years, I'm so coming out to do a summer in one of these places, it's 40 degrees outside, the pool is outside, and they look like they're having a great time, the pool is awesome!! Maybe in a couple of years!
Onto Friday and a trip to Tulsa. I think Tulsa is the 2nd largest city in Oklahoma, but it's definitely an interesting place, with some great architecture and stuff. After a quick tour around the centre to look at the buildings, we went off to the aquarium. As a massive Finding Nemo fan, I definitely didn't quote the film once throughout the aquarium... OK so maybe I did once or twice! But the fish were awesome! I love aquariums!!!
I called him squishy! And he was mine! And he Was my squishy! Luckily he wasn't bad! =)
Speaking of Nemo Quotes, I found myself quoting Bruce when I saw this guy:
Fish Are Friends: Not Food!
What a chap!
Having left the aquarium, we checked into our hotel, and at around 6pm moved out to Discoveryland, where we went to watch Oklahoma!, the Rogers and Hammerstein Musical. It was amazing, beforehand, they did this tribute to the frontiersmen of the west; singing songs such as Rawhide, and God Bless the USA, as a tribute to American's who had fallen in Warzones, a truly moving experience.
The production of Oklahoma! was amazing, with the setting in an environment that was made for the musical. At points the humidity was almost as much as in a sauna, there was so much water in the air; but it just added to the atmosphere, as did critters in the trees.
The musical itself was awesome, being one that I'd not seen before (yes I am a closet Musicals geek); but it was amazing just how many of the songs I knew. I even found myself singing along to some of them.
The end of the show saw us given the chance to go up onto the performance area to meet the cast. Turns out that 4 of the leads are actually students at UCO, and commute every day from Edmond. Here's the lead with Flick:
And so onto Saturday. We were meant to go to some museum thingy, but being holiday weekend, it was closed. And just as well, as yet again we were given another gift of the most torrential rainfall ever! The interstate was literally a river driving back, although the journey was pretty darn funny.
Nothing else really happened for the rest of the day, as the rain was pretty bad, so most of us took the opportunity to catch up on some sleep and stuff.
The evening saw us go to a house party, which in a word was shit.
I'll do another post in a bit for the last couple of days, I'm going to get this up to date within the next couple of days!
x


No comments:

Post a Comment